How to Hone and Develop Your Personal Sense of Style
When it comes to your personal style, there’s really only one thing that you need to keep in mind. There are no rules–only growth and development. Fashion trends can change in the blink of an eye, and how you dress yourself should be dictated by your life, which is also constantly in flux. What matters is that you have fun with your outfits, express yourself through your wardrobe, and enjoy the process.
If you’re still trying to nail down what your personal style even is, though, this might just be the article for you. Here are some tips that will help you hone and develop your personal sense of style until you find what works for you:
Browse, but don’t buy
Most people go shopping with the intention of buying something specific. Did you know, though, that window shopping–that is, browsing and trying clothes on without buying anything–can also be extremely educational?
It’s a great way to try a variety of clothes on without committing, which will help give you an idea on how certain pieces fit and look on your body. It’s also excellent for getting you out of your comfort zone, trying clothes on that you normally wouldn’t give a second glance to.
Imitation is the best form of flattery
If you’re interested in style and fashion, then you probably have a handful of celebrities and influencers that you look up to. Expert stylists recommend beginning your style journey by looking to these personalities for inspiration; after all, you already like the way they look. This means that you’ll probably also like looking like them.
Fortunately, you can find a lot of photos online of models and celebrities in their downtime, and their street style is relatively easy to mimic. You don’t have to buy the exact same pieces that they wear if they’re out of your budget, either. The idea is to emulate their vibe by taking a look at how they pair certain pieces or what they wear on different occasions. You can use Pinterest to put together a mood board of sorts that you can refer to, or go old-fashioned by tearing pictures out of magazines.
Organize your closet
When’s the last time you cleaned your closet out? “Shopping” your own closet is a great way to discover your style.
Through it, you’ll start to notice patterns in terms of which pieces, colors, and styles you tend to gravitate toward. It can also help you rediscover some previously-hidden gems that you may have forgotten were even in there.
The KonMari™️ tidying method popularized by professional organizing consultant Marie Kondo is great for getting your closet in order and under control. It involves emptying your entire closet and placing all of its contents on your bed. From there, you’ll keep only the pieces that “spark joy” and dispose of the rest.
Put together a capsule wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of essential clothing items that are versatile, timeless, and can be mixed and matched to create multiple outfits. Queer Eye’s resident style expert, Tan France, swears by it, and for good reason. It’s an excellent foundation to build your personal style upon, whether you’re a consummate minimalist or love to accessorize.
Here are a few items that deserve a spot in your capsule wardrobe:
- Tops: Start with basic tops such as t-shirts, blouses, and sweaters in neutral colors like black, white, and gray. These can be worn on their own or layered under jackets or cardigans.
- Bottoms: Opt for classic bottoms such as a pair of jeans, tailored pants, and a skirt in a neutral color like black or navy. These can be dressed up or down and can be worn in all seasons.
- Outerwear: Invest in a classic trench coat or a leather jacket. These items can add a touch of sophistication to any outfit and can be worn with jeans or over a dress.
- Dresses: Choose a few dresses that can be worn for both casual and formal occasions. A simple black dress, a wrap dress, and a shift dress are all great options.
- Shoes: Invest in a few pairs of comfortable shoes that can be worn with multiple outfits. A pair of black heels, loafers, and sneakers are all versatile choices.
- Accessories: Add some accessories like a belt, a scarf, and a statement piece of jewelry to add interest to your outfits. You can find amazing affordable jewelry pieces right here in our store! We’re a California-based, women-founded brand that specializes in dainty and minimalist affordable jewelry. Remember – a little sparkle is enough, and your jewelry can make a statement without standing out.
Finding the Best Affordable Jewelry to Help You Develop Your Style
The right jewelry can really help accentuate your style while helping you to feel empowered. If you are looking for high-quality affordable everyday jewelry, take a look around at some of our popular collections. From cute mood rings to dainty necklaces, you’re sure to find that one piece that will become an everyday wardrobe staple!